Issuing an industry update the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC) has revelead that online gambling is the largest gambling sector for Britain, with 33% of all wagers processed digitally as the commission publishes its new figures today.
Publishing industry statistics between April 2015 – March 2016 the UKGC reveals that total digital ‘Gambling Gross Gambling Yield (GGY)’ accounted for £4.5 billion surpassing National Lottery GGY of £3.4billion and the £3.3 billion generated by retail bookmakers.
Detailing the breakdown of the industry GGY £4.5 billion, the UKGC revealed that £2.6 billion came from online casino games with online slot machine-style games alone contributing £1.8billion.
UK online sports betting would generate £1.6 billion GGY with £152 million generated from betting exchanges and just £23 million generated from pool betting.
UKGC Commission Programme Director James Green commented on the report:
“Our latest statistics show that with the growth in online gambling the industry is increasingly taking a creative approach to using technology to engage consumers. As the online sector grows operators will also need to demonstrate that they are taking an equally innovative approach to ensuring gambling is safe for all online consumers.”
Further industry highlights of the report include
- Britain’s gambling industry generated a GGY of £13.6billion between April 2015 and March 2016
- Between April 2015 and March 2016 the National Lottery contributed £1.8billion to good causes, representing a 7.2% increase on the previous year
- A total of £208m was raised for good causes through large society lotteries, representing a 10.5% increase on the previous year
- There are 8,709 betting shops in Britain as of September 2016, representing a 1.8% decrease from March 2015
- The total number of gaming machines was 167,839, down 0.4% on the previous year
- As of March 2016 there were 34,884 B2 gaming machines in Britain, down 0.9% on March 2015 (2)
- There are 575 bingo premises in September 2016, down 4.3% on March 2016
- 104,896 people were employed in Britain’s gambling industry, down 1.5% on the March 2015.
(c) SBC News – Read entire story here.