Rummy is still said to be one of the most popular card games in the United States, though in few places, it is superseded by Oklahoma Gin and Gin Rummy. Rummy is a game that definitely works better than Gin Rummy particularly when there are more than 2 players. One of the best features of this game is that it has got several variations and is also a simple and easy game to learn.
Rummy is a card game that is played with the help of two decks of card that comprises of 2 jokers. In order to win a game of rummy, a player should take a valid declaration by choosing and discarding cards from the two piles that are distributed. One pile will be a closed deck where the participants won’t be able to see which card he is picking. The other is an open deck that is formed by the discarded cards of the players. In order to win at this game, the players will require grouping cards in different sets and sequences.
In rummy, the cards in each suit rank from low to high beginning with Ace, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Jack, Queen and King, each of which holds 10 points. The rest of the cards have value that is equivalent to their face value. For instance, 3 cards have 3 points.
What is the objective of playing Rummy?
The objective of a rummy game is to arrange the 13 cards in valid sequences and sets. In order to win the game, you have a make a minimum of 2 sequences. Out of the 2 sequences, one has to be a pure sequence and the other one can be any valid set or sequence. Unless you have a pure sequence, you can’t make a proper rummy declaration. Don’t forget that this is one of the most pivotal rummy rules.
Forming sequences in a game of Rummy
In a game of rummy, a sequence is formed when a group of 3 or more cards of the same suit follow. There are two different sequences that can be formed, a pure and an impure sequence. If you have to win the game, you should have at least one pure sequence in your hand.
A pure sequence is a group where 3 or more cards of the same suit are placed in a consecutive order. In order to form a pure sequence in a rummy card game, a player can’t use any wild card or joker. Here are examples of a pure sequence.
- 5 (of Hearts), 6 (of Hearts) and 7 (of Hearts) without using any wild card or joker
- 3 (of Spades), 4 (of Spades), 5 (of Spades), 6 (of Spades) without any joker or wild card
An impure sequence is a group of 3 or more cards of the same suit with one or more Joker. Here are few examples to show you how to make an impure sequence:
- 6 (of Diamond), 7 (of Diamond), Q (of Spade), 9 (of Diamond). Here Q of Spade has been used as a wild joker to replace 8 of Diamond so as to form an impure sequence.
- 5 (of Spade), Q (of Heart), 7 (of Spade), 8 (of Spade) and PJ. Here Q of Hearts is used as a wild joker to replace 6 of Spade and Printed Joker (PJ) replaces 9 of Spade.
Playing Rummy Card Game – Few tips from players
Now that you’re intrigued by this simple game, you must be wondering how to play the game from the beginning till the end. Here are few tips to consider.
- Rummy game of cards is played among 2 to 6 players with 2 decks of cards. Each card is given 13 cards and then a random card is chosen as a wild joker for the game.
- The players have to draw cards and also discard few in order to form valid sequences and sets of 13 cards where player can use wild joker of the deck to make impure seats and sequence.
- As per rummy rules in India, once a player arranges 13 cards in valid 2 sequences that include 1 pure sequence and more sequences, he can make a declaration to win the game of cards.
- Designate a scorer and a dealer at the beginning of the game. The dealer will deal out hands and puts the undealt cards faced down on the center of the table as the unused stock. The topmost card is turned upward, beside the stock of cards.
- The player to the left of the dealer will be the first to play. He can either pick the card on the discard pile or the top most card from the stock. If he puts some or all his hands into combinations, she might do so. If not, he discards one card from his hand, and then the turn will move to another player.
- The next player will pick up the last card that the previous player discarded or one from the top of the stock. He may then meld some or all the cards down to combinations. The will continue clockwise over the table. As the stock runs out, you can shuffle the cards and set up again.
Rummy Smart Tips
Here is a list of additional tips and rules that you should abide by while playing the game:
- You can’t pick the top discard and throw the card again onto the pile
- If you pick two cards from the stock (accidentally) and see either of them, you should put down the bottom card. This will give the next player an added option. He again can look at the returned card and take it if he wants to.
- As you pick up a card from the stock which you don’t want, don’t throw it off instantly. Put the card within your hand and then extract it. You shouldn’t give any kind of gratuitous information out to the other players.
Therefore, now that you’re pretty aware of the tips and tricks to play the Rummy cards game, what are you waiting for? Make sure you master the art of this game and win it.